Walls - A poem

 



My heart is smaller than it seems
It’s got all these layers you see

I built the first wall when you called and ditched me

You decide one day you’re done and leave

And years later I now walk around in fear

Because what if someone else loses interest the same way you did

This first wall was built when I was just a kid


These walls are permeable

So they don’t do their job


Because I was hurt again 

Because you danced with me 

And told me your secrets

Decided you weren’t interested anymore

So I put my hands in my pockets

And thought maybe this is just how it’s supposed to be


Walls are built 

Walls disintegrate


And they did when I met her

Hilarious, unapologetic, tender

We had fun and I was waiting for the moment

She would decide she’d had her fill and leave

But she stayed

And it was the most content I’ve ever been


Our memories weave into a braid

and rest over my right shoulder


Just when they think the coast is clear

They are met with another boulder


Because the first wall 

I built with bricks of doubt

Still stands strong 


This battlement is a misnomer

Because it backfires

And every time it does


I remember 

I have her


But her walls were built higher than mine

It was a sign

That it was time

And now I have nothing to remember .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emotions, and us - By Ashita - Guest writer for June 🌸

Summer to Monsoon - A poem

Growing up with you - A poem